Add your reaction
Supervising Producer: The Laura Flanders Show
FT 50-75k (depending on experience)
Launched on May 12, 2008 as GRITtv, The Laura Flanders Show features innovative thinkers and doers with reality based strategies for realizing radical change. The LF Show reaches millions of viewers weekly on CUNY TV (the public university channel in New York), KCET/LinkTV and Free Speech TV on Dish Network and DIRECTV, on cable stations nationwide, online and as a radio show/podcast.
The Supervising Producer oversees the weekly production while working closely with the executive producer (EP) on show development. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in producing content for television and a successful track record of booking hard-to-get guests on deadline. Candidates need strong familiarity with economic, social and cultural issue areas relevant to the program as well as some familiarity with Flanders’ work and a demonstrable commitment to diversity and racial and gender justice. The ideal candidate is well organized, capable of designing and implementing an efficient workflow and overseeing a small team of editors, freelancers, videographers, as well as social media personnel.
The SP will need to have demonstrated experience in studio and video production with original stories and unique angles. Also needed, good writing and advanced skills in researching and preparing in-depth interview segments. The SP should be a self-starter familiar with working in the interview format and in the non-profit world. While this is a collaborative workplace, this position reports directly to the EP, Laura Flanders.
- Content development: Pitch, pursue, and identify guests with a healthy quotient of headline ("name") guests and others within the interest areas of program.
- Book such segments and guests.
- Daily check-in with Editor(s)/Producer on progression of show post-production.
- Prepare host with all relevant research and pre-interview materials including draft introductions and continuity texts.
- Oversee production and post-production of full length (25min) program for TV as well as promotional and social media shorts in conjunction with social media/editing team.
- Update staff calendars and schedules in timely fashion securing staff for production within agreed upon budget and overseeing shoots (Includes but is not limited to once monthly in-studio shoot.)
- Hires and fires production staff (in consultation with EP).
- Oversees post production, monitoring editing and motion graphics staff for consistency and appearance.
- Collaborates actively with managing director to increase audience and reach.
- Serves as liaison between key partners, YouTube, Link TV, FSTV, MNN and other distributors. Works with promotions staff to increase audience and distribution of program.
- Program development, as resources permit, the SP may develop new content, including field-produced pieces and events etc. in line with show priorities.
- Operates in transparent and collaborative fashion, sharing guest contact information and growing organizational reach and alliances of program.
- Education: Bachelors
- Work Experience: 3+ years in production.
- Deep familiarity with contemporary social and economic justice movements issues
- Proven track record of producing original digital content with unique and creative angles on deadline.
- Non-Technical Skills: Strong writing and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and ability to work closely with others
- Strong editorial judgment
- Strong creativity and leadership skills
- Minimum 2-year commitment
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please email your resume, a cover letter, and a link to your reel/work to email@example.com
This is a full time position based in New York, at our downtown Brooklyn office with some flexibility.
Competitive non-profit salary and benefits contribution (for full time). Laura Flanders Limited is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ persons and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.